Sunday, January 08, 2006

I finally managed to find time to watch the movie Serenity a few days ago, and clearly it should be on everyone's list as one of the top movies of 2005. The day after I watched it, the Not My Fault daughter checked it out after school, and I watched it again later that night. A great main story, an entertaining sub-story, and allegories and subtleties galore. Sharp dialog, well-rounded characters, believable sci-fi technologies, and just enough FX without detracting from the movie.

The movie was actually a continuation of the Firefly television series, which I didn't watch much of, but certainly plan to now.

Details of where the Serenity movie and the Firefly series connect can be found in this fine review...

And while I'm on the subject of believable sci-fi technology, there was a news story that made a minor splash last week that claims the US government is developing a theoretical hyperspace engine. A healthy dose of skepticism should greet much of these developments, but then again, the Singularity will be on us sooner than we think.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home