Sunday, September 10, 2006

I had quite a flashback today. Five years ago today, on a perfect pre-autumnul day exactly like today, my brother and I were having a couple of beers after playing soccer. There were lots of friends and teammates around, and lots of laughter and sunshine as we sat by the soccer field having our drinks. Two days later, a Tuesday, I was driving to NYC for work when the reports of the attacks on the World Trade Center came over the radio. I turned around, went home, and pretty much sat in a daze for the next 48 hours.

So today my brother and I were together again, at a soccer field, enjoying some cold beers with several friends. We had coached our kids today, not played ourselves, but in every other respect it was a "deja-vu all over again" kind of day: the sky, the atmosphere, the soccer, the friends, the drinks...all of it. When I told my brother what I was thinking he said "Oh yeah, I remember". He paused for a moment and then said, "shit". Then I said, "shit".

And that about sums it up, doesn't it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home