Monday, November 07, 2005

I've set aside mockery of the French for the time being, and I'm largely past schadenfreude...Events have simply been too sobering even for someone like me, and I've pretty much been waiting for the Euro explosion for the better part of a decade. There's only so long an unassimilated, under-educated, unemployed, unemployable, radicalized underclass will sit in ghettos before lashing out. Even if you give them money and services for nothing.

So here's the question I'd like to have the answer to. I think the answer is "yes", but for the sake of Europe I'll keep an open mind.

Here's a map showing just how wide-spread the riots are.

Here's a Paris based blog that's been providing indispensable updates from the scene. Just keep scrolling.

Finally, incredibly, absurdly, on the 12th night of riots it somehow occurs to French officials to "take steps...to impose curfews".

Best line I've heard about all this: "Who knew the angry, explosive 'Arab Street' we've been hearing about for more than 4 years was in Paris?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home